Malaysia-Invitation to Serve on Bar Council’s Watching Brief Team
Invitation to Serve on Bar Council's Watching Brief Team
Circular No 068/2019
Dated 4 Apr 2019
To Members of the Malaysian Bar
Invitation to Serve on Bar Council's Watching Brief TeamIn view of the increasing number of legal proceedings of concern, the Bar Council seeks to expand its team of counsel to hold watching brief for the Malaysian Bar, and invites Members of the Bar to join its watching brief team.
Currently, the Bar Council holds watching brief in legal proceedings relating to the following:
(1) Public interest issues, eg inquests, detentions without trial, sedition trials, and other human rights matters;Watching brief counsel are not allowed to participate in the legal proceedings, unless with the leave, or by invitation, of the Court.
(2) Criminal trials (eg cases pertaining to criminal breach of trust ("CBT"), fraud, or dishonesty) involving Members of the Bar or public figures, as well as high-profile cases; and
(3) Matters where there is an important legal issue to be resolved.
The role of watching brief counsel can include, where applicable.
(1) stating the position adopted by the Bar Council in respect of the issues in dispute.No professional fees will be paid, but we will reimburse counsel for disbursements and out-of-pocket expenses reasonably incurred.
(2) ensuring that the Bar Council's position is not jeopardised in any manner; and
(3) assisting to formulate a legal position.
If you are interested to join the watching brief team, kindly complete and submit the reply slip that is available here (see page 2) to the Bar Council by fax at 03-2034 2487, or by email at email@example.com, on or before 19 Apr 2019 (Friday).
Should you have any enquiries, please contact Ravinderjit Kaur, Senior Officer (03-2050 2149; firstname.lastname@example.org); or Saliha Hassan, Director (03-2050 2148; email@example.com).
Please click here to view the full circular, including the reply slip.